Colors are the most important part of both living things and non-living things. Be it food, clothing, architecture, objects or nature; colors play a major role in defining the value of a commodity. Choosing the right colors for a brand is one of the important steps of building a brand presence and its image in the market. Selecting the right colors help a brand to create an aesthetic that matches the audience or the customer base of that brand.
Here in this blog post, we will understand how one should select a color scheme for a logo that defines a brand and establishes its presence online. It is important to first understand the way in which colors work and the impact they have on the logo which eventually sets the right position for your brand in the market.
Quick Ways to Select a Color for your Brand:
If I ask you to close your eyes right now and think of a famous brand, chances are that you might think of Burger King, Starbucks, and Nike and so on. The main reason why these brands come into your mind is because they have iconic colors that remain synonymous and also are instantly attractive to the human eye. The following are the major points that you have to keep in mind while selecting a color for your brand’s logo.
Understand the Purpose and Voice of your Brand:
A brand usually has its own presence and purpose. When a company is in its organizing stage, the purpose of setting it up is clearly monitored. So when you are deciding a color, make sure that you are syncing it with the voice of your brand.
Try to connect the dots between what the brand is, what its main purpose is, what it tries to say and what does it aim in bringing to the global market. Try to understand the nature of the brand; is it outgoing, is it friendly, is it educational, or informative or is it just plain commanding in nature. Since colors form the visual appeal it is important for you to pick the right one as it sets the tone eventually and conveys the voice of your brand globally.
Know your Competitors
Knowing your competitors is another important thing to do prior to selecting a color. Analyzing the way in which competitors have chosen their brand logos and colors tells you a lot about what to do and what not to do in the final step. It gives a better understanding of the industry that you are in and the changing market trends of that particular industry. For example Bentley and Mini, two of the famous luxury car brands have almost same logos and the same colors that make both of them iconic in their customer base.
Additionally, you should also make sure that the essence of logo quality is able to make a lasting impression and recognition among the peers as it helps in maintaining the right image among your competitors. Researching and knowing about the competitors enables you to fill the gap that is created if any and make you a sound competitor among your peers.
Know the Color Psychology
It is a known fact that every color has its own meaning and has the power to denote the right emotion when needed. Colors have the power to make and break a brand that ultimately signifies its origin, purpose and meaning in the market. It is imperative for brands to understand that colors signify various emotions and the same can be used to give out a message related to your brand.
Emotions can be both positive and negative. There are different emotions dull, bright, happy, sad, vulnerable, disappointment and so on. Therefore, it is important for you to make sure that you are selecting the right color as it has the ability to give the right message according to your will and wish and the right message which you might have in your mind. Understanding the psychology is an important aspect as it helps you mightily in selecting the best color for your logo.
Here are some of the primary and the most common colors used by brands and their significance.
- Red: red is a primary color and is also the base color of the color scheme. Even though it is a commonly used one, the color red has the power to gather attention to your brand in a positive way. It signifies urge, passion, confidence, love, affection and risk which are some of the most important and varied emotions of the human mindset.
- Blue: Blue is another primary color in the color scheme. It has a calming effect on the human mind and it is also capable of bringing a major role in the way how your brand shapes up. The color blue stands for serenity, tranquility, intellect, reliability and steadiness all of which are affirmative in nature.
- Green: Green is the last primary color in the color scheme. It stands for life, growth, fertility and hope. It is a color that also encourages the human mind to venture out in the world of many possibilities as they have the capacity to bring a great change in the way how things are made and also planted in the life of humans.
- White: White is a color that plain and simple. When used in the right manner, white can be a game changer. It stands for peace, purity and goodness which also denote the higher stances of a brand and the vision of its long term goal.
- Black: Traditionally, Black is not considered as a color, as it is just the absence of a color. However, in the world of design, black has a major significance of its own. The color black stands for charm, sophistication, power and elegance.
All these colors have a unique significance and importance of their and also have a major role in deciding the future prospects of a brand. Whether you have already established your brand logo or you are planning to decide one. The right market research and knowing the voice and purpose of your brand help you in selecting the right and perfect logo which ultimately creates the feeling, mood and image of your brand.